Went for a walk around the Zocalo, or public square. Got gawked at (yeah, we look like tourists). Went back to wait for everyone and went for breakfast. Wandered around some more and encountered some wonderful-smelling group of flower shops. Found an internet cafe and posted to facebook that I am alive and well. Loaded up the small bus for our trip up the mountain to San Cristobal de Las Casas. What an amazing drive!!! The scenery was fantastic!! Pictures were taken, and will be posted eventually. San Cristobal is at the cloud level. Got into our hotel annd home for the next 3 days, the San Martin. Went for a walk around as a group. The main cathedral and zocalo are just down the street. There are several pedestrian malls, and there are people hawking things everywhere you turn. There was a funeral today for a bishop, who was loved and revered by most of the people of this region, so there was an interesting atmosphere in the city.
We went to see the language school, and met Nadia. She has tremendous energy. She had us explore, and people were saying...don't let Janet come out into the garden'. Nadia has 8 cats!! I told her I had 4, so we have something to talk about (I brought pictures of the furballs). I met Gordo (fat) and he is an orange tabby. So I got my cat fix for today!
Went for another wander after dinner to get bearings...we have to travel in at least twos, or small groups for safety. It was much cooler after dinner, so I found my sweater again. The hot chocolate here is rather interesting...not as sweet as back home. Yummy!
No comments:
Post a Comment